Introducing GroupMe 3.0
It’s a very exciting day here at GroupMe. Thanks to the invaluable feedback we’ve received from our users over the last few months, we have a slew of new features today that make GroupMe the easiest way to start conversations and keep in touch with your real life network.
There’s a lot of new stuff to celebrate, so let’s get to the point. Here’s what’s new!
- Today, we’re releasing a new kind of conversation you can start on GroupMe. It’s as simple as asking a question.
- Use it to plan a real-life meetup, chat about something with your friends in real time, or whatever else you want!
- You can direct your question to just a few people, an entire group, or everyone you know. You can even broadcast it to Twitter or Facebook and let the world respond.
- We’re so excited about this feature that we can’t contain it all to this post. Please read more about Questions here.
- Now, you can send a message to another GroupMe user, because sometimes, you don’t need to say it to the whole group.
Just tap on a user’s avatar anywhere in the app, and you can have a conversation with them without ever leaving the app.
- Today, you can send and receive Direct Messages from the iPhone and Android apps. It’s coming soon to our other platforms, including the web.
- Now everything you can do on the app is possible on the web. Start and manage groups, send messages, share photos, ask questions, and more, all from the comfort of your desk. You asked for it, so we built it.
- Plus, it’s optimized for mobile browsers, so if your smartphone doesn’t already have a GroupMe app available, you can still chat for free wherever you are.
- On top of all that, we have a new About page, a new Jobs page (apply now!) and new pages for all of our apps. It’s like a brand new website!
Who You Know
- To date, you have been able to view the phone numbers of anyone in your groups. As GroupMe has grown and our users have discovered awesome new reasons to start groups, we’ve heard from some people that you don’t always want to share their phone number in their groups.
- So starting today, your phone number is kept private from other group members.
The only way you can see another group member’s phone number in the app is if they’re already in your phone contacts. Of course, if you need to know it, you can always ask them for it by sending a Direct Message in our app. It’s that easy!
- The GroupMe app is now available worldwide on iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, and Windows Phone 7. Full SMS chat support is currently limited to the United States, but users in other countries can use GroupMe for free with our app or on our website. Today, GroupMe apps are available in over 90 countries.
New Apps and More
- In addition to all the awesome new features described above, the new versions of our iPhone and Android apps also feature a gorgeous new interface design. They’re faster than ever and better looking to boot.
- If you didn’t see the news last month, we have a brand new app for Windows Phone 7 that’s just getting started. Try it out!
- The retooled “News” tab in the app now tells you everything you need to know about GroupMe.
- There are so many optimizations and detailed improvements in our apps and website that we couldn’t possibly list them all here.
We’re so excited for you to start playing with the new apps and features! So what are you waiting for? Here are a few things you should do right now:
Download the latest version of our app. Ask a question of your friends! Send a direct message to someone you’re in a group with! Chat with your groups from our website! Let us know what you think on Twitter or Facebook! And if you have any problems or questions, feel free to send us an email.