Well, as you may have noticed, things have changed.
Welcome to the new GroupMe.
We’re too excited to wait any longer, so let’s get into it. Here’s what’s new:
- Today, we’re releasing GroupMe 2.0 on iOS and Android, both available immediately.
- You can now use GroupMe using your data connection, entirely within the app. In-app chat is faster than SMS and beautiful to look at. If you’re having trouble finding a data connection, though, the app will automatically recommend that you use SMS, like classic GroupMe. It’s totally seamless messaging, no matter where you are.
- These apps both also now support location sharing. You can add your location to a message easily and see all group members on an interactive map. Never lose your friends again.
- Share photos inline instantly. Capture your group’s moments as they happen.
- Add anyone you know to your groups, whether you have their phone number or not. Invite friends via email, or from Twitter or Facebook.
- We still give every group a unique phone number, so your friends with older phones can still join in the group chat.
- No login required. Authenticate the app once, and that’s it.
- Get it now:
GroupMe for iOS
GroupMe for Android
Website and Rebranding
- Our main man Poundie had a facelift, and he looks better than ever. Our brand has been completely restyled, thanks to some awesome work by our amazing new lead designer, Kevin David Crowe, and Camillia BenBassat at Avec.
- Have you seen the new homepage? We apologize in advance if you spend the rest of your day on it, just scrolling up and down. We’re using it to show off a few common uses of GroupMe, while also showing off that it works on every phone. It’s all thanks to our new front-end engineer Chris Connolly.
- The user experience has been revamped site-wide, including a new “Help & Support” tab on every page that allows you to find fast answers to some frequently asked questions, or ask your own.
- Today, we’re introducing the fastest possible way to start a group. It’s all thanks to our new shortcode.
- Just text START to GROUP (47687). That’s it. Any questions?
- We’re going to SXSW with big plans and we’re really excited. Start your SXSW GroupMe and learn more now on our hot new SXSW landing page. Add your crew, and you’ll automatically be entered to win VIP tickets to the week’s best parties.
There’s so much more…
But we’re not ready to announce it yet, so stay tuned. In the meantime, go play with our new app! Scroll around on our homepage! Start a SXSW group! Tell us what you think!
As always, send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org, or find us on Twitter or Facebook.